Horses are beautiful animals.
Most people enjoy horses for pleasure and for riding them.
- A horse can sleep either standing or lying down.
- There are 150,367 horses in Illinois, making it the 18th largest state in horse population.
- When a horse gallops, all four hooves are off the ground at one point.
- In Illinois, 645,000 acres of land are used for horse-related purposes.
- A horse has huge teeth and an excellent memory.
- A horse drinks about 25 gallons of water each day.
- Horses are measured in hands. A hand is equivalent to four inches.
Years ago, horses were work horses on farms. They were replaced by the horsepower of tractors. Today, only 24% of horses are used for farm work in the U.S.