Which came first the chicken or the egg?
This old riddle has sparked discussions for years.
It’s such a tricky question because you need a chicken to lay an egg, but chickens come from eggs.
Regardless, chickens are farm animals which provide us with meat and eggs!
Here’s some fun facts about chickens:
• On average, a hen (female chicken) can lay about 1 egg per day.
• Chickens are the most common bird. There are more chickens in the world than any other bird.
• Chickens cluck after they lay an egg. They may lay white, brown, blue or green eggs. These eggs have the same nutritional value regardless of their color.
• Chickens have 3 eyelids.
• Chickens see living color and also ultraviolet light.
• Chickens can run up to 9 miles per hour.
Why higher egg prices?
Egg prices are up 60% over last year. But why? It’s due to the avian influenza, known as the bird flu. There’s been an 11% reduction in chickens from birds being directly hit with the disease or producers forced to depopulate to get the disease under control.