Some fun facts about grapes and wine
• Grapes are the most planted fruit all over the world.
• A ton of grapes can be produced into 720 bottles of wine.
• There are 10,000 varieties of wine grapes existing worldwide.
• “Aroma” is the term for the fragrance of young wine, while “Mellow” is for old wine.
• Wine tasters “swirl” the wine in their glass to release its aromas. They don’t also fill the glass more than a third full to leave a space where these aromas can collect.
• The top 3 most significant producers of wine in the world are France, Spain, and Italy. The U.S. (California) ranks fourth, followed by China in fifth place.
• The color of wine comes from the grapes used. Reds are usually made from purple or blue grapes, while whites are made from greener grapes.
• There are 2 wineries in DeKalb County and about 165 in Illinois.