We count on dairy cows to give us important dairy foods as part of a healthy diet.
All of those versatile dairy foods start with milk from cows, which is used to make cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, and so many other dairy products.
Here are some fun facts about dairy cows to commemorate June Dairy Month:
- On average, a cow will produce 6 to 7 gallons of milk a day.
- All cow’s milk has the same amount of protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Most dairy cows are milked 2 to 3 times per day.
- Black and white cows are the Holstein breed, which is the most common of the dairy breeds. No two cows have the same spots.
- There are about 700 dairy cows in DeKalb County.