The DeKalb County 4-H Fair Livestock Show has been held at various locations over the years. For many years the 4-H Fair was held in conjunction with the Sycamore Farmer’s Club Jr. Fair and local Granges. The Sycamore Farmer’s Club Jr. Fair ran from 1940-2006.
From the early 1930s to the late 1940s the 4-H Fair was held alongside the Sandwich Fair at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
In 1948 and 1949, 4-H members took their livestock to Klage’s Woods to show. Klage’s Woods was located on Rt. 23 north of DeKalb next to the County Farm.
The 4-H Fair moved to the Hunter-Nelson barns on the Ellwood Farm in 1950, located on North First Street, DeKalb.
Then in 1951 the DeKalb County 4-H Fair Livestock Show returned to the Sandwich Fairgrounds and has been there since as its own show typically held in August. The DeKalb County Sandwich Fair is held after Labor Day, in September, at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
This year, for the first year ever, the 4-H Livestock Show will be held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sources: DeKalb County Farmer, Joiner History Room, DeKalb County Archives