Field meal ideas are for those who are of the “keep on moving” mindset during planting. Farmers need a tractor meal!
Greek Chicken Salad Wraps 6 servings
1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
¼ tsp pepper
1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
¼ red onion, diced
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
1 tsp minced garlic
2-3 cups cooked boneless
1 tsp dried dill
skinless chicken breast, chopped
½ tsp salt
6 sandwich wraps such as Flatout brand
Combine cucumber, yogurt, sour cream, garlic, dill, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine ingredients well. Gently fold in onion, olives and chicken. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve as a sandwich wrap, or for a low carb version serve in lettuce leaves.
Mediterranean Chopped Salad 4 servings
1 cup grape tomatoes
¼ cup Kalamata olives
2 cups cucumber, chopped
2 T olive oil
2 cans can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 T red wine vinegar
¼ red onion diced
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except feta cheese. Stir gently to combine. Refrigerate for one hour, or until ready to serve.
- At serving time, add crumbled feta cheese and gently stir to combine.
Mom’s Apple Slab Pie 24 servings
3 packages ready to use pie crust (each containing 2 for 6 total)
14 cup sliced peeled tart apples
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 T butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 T milk
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 T water
1/8 tsp vanilla
- Roll 2 sheets of pie dough to fill the bottom of a 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan. Use pieces of third crust to patch in areas as necessary.
- Mix apples, lemon juice, and vanilla. Pour half of apple mixture into pan.
- Combine sugars, cinnamon and salt. Top first half of apples. Add remainder of apple mixture, cover with remaining sugar mixture and dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining crust and cover apple mixture. Seal edges. Brush with milk.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle.
To see more of Deanne’s Handheld Eats recipes go to thisfarmgirlcooks.com.