Popcorn is one of America’s favorite snacks.
• Most popcorn is grown in the Midwest – Nebraska leads in popcorn production.
• There are 4 basic types of corn – field (dent) corn, flint (Indian) corn, sweet corn (corn on the cob) and popcorn. Popcorn is the only corn which pops!
• On average, each person eats 47 quarts of popcorn a year
• Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air.
• Microwaveable popcorn was invented by Pillsbury in 1982.
• Popcorn is the official snack food of the State of Illinois.
• Illinois farmers grow about 28,000 acres of popcorn. The majority of corn grown is field corn.
Sources: www.popcornboard.org, Illinois Farm Bureau